ISO 20000 implementation
Implementing an IT service management system (SMS) that complies with ISO 20000 supports and enhances ITIL® practices and is the logical next step for organisations that have adopted the ITIL methodology.
This page provides everything you need to help you implement an ISO 20000-compliant SMS.
ISO 20000 is the international standard that enables IT organisations to ensure that their IT service management (ITSM) processes are aligned both with the needs of the business and with international best practice.
Before embarking on your ISO 20000 implementation project, it is important to gain an understanding of the Standard and how it can benefit your organisation. Securing management commitment and selecting a suitable implementation approach is essential for successful delivery of the project. The following introductory reading materials will help you address these points:
ISO 20000 implementation
Similarly to other management systems, the implementation of a service management system (SMS) that conforms with ISO/IEC 20000 is based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle. A detailed explanation of this approach is provided in the Exin-accredited book Implementing Service Quality based on ISO/IEC 20000, 3rd edition by Michael Kunas.
Plan the implementation and operation of your service management system
- Establish the scope of service management
- Define IT service management objectives
- Determine the necessary processes
- Define roles and responsibilities
- Determine resources and timescales
- Develop processes for managing risks
- Develop methods for managing, auditing and improving service quality
Implement the service management plan
- Manage budget and resources
- Select, train and motivate staff – staff involved in the project should attend the ISO 20000 Practitioner training course which will give them the expertise to lead their organisation to ISO 20000 certification
- Create documentation and monitor plans, policies and procedures for the various processes – all documents are available in the ITSM, ITIL®4 & ISO 20000 Toolkit
- Treat and mitigate risks
Monitor measure and review the achievement of service management objectives
- Periodically review the management plan
- Determine whether the SMS is compliant with ISO 20000
- Create an audit programme – the ISO 20000 Practitioner training course includes a special session on auditing an SMS internally.
Identify actions for continual improvement and increasing the effectiveness of the SMS
- Publish a policy that contains a clear definition of roles and responsibilities for the improvement of service activities
- Create a service improvement plan
- Eliminate non-conformities
Key resources to help you with your ISO 20000 project
At IT Governance, we provide products and services to assist individuals and organisations implementing ISO 20000 to become certification-ready. We offer products and services that cover every aspect of ISO 20000 implementation.