Certificate in Information Security Management Principles (CISMP)
The CISMP qualification demonstrates good knowledge and understanding of the key areas involved in information security management, including cyber security, risk management, information security management (ISO 27001), and business continuity (ISO 22301).
It is awarded by the British Computer Society (BCS), following successful completion of the CISMP exam.
CISMP provides a solid foundation, upon which a successful information security career can be built. It is particularly valuable to those working in the public sector, as it is part of the CESG Certified Professional Scheme.
Kick-start your career in cyber security management
"Perfect, best course I've done. Thank you”
Kerry Webber, IT Manager
CISMP coverage and content
If you are keen to develop a career in information security, CISMP is the perfect starting point as it provides a broad introduction to information security management. The content is also suitable for business professionals who require a deeper understanding of information security as part of their wider business knowledge.
The CISMP syllabus covers the following areas:
- Information Security Management Principles
- Information Risk (Threats, Vulnerabilities)
- Information Security Framework (Organisation, Implementation, Standards)
- Procedural / People Security Controls
- Technical Security Controls (including Infrastructure, Cloud Computing)
- Software Development and Lifecycle
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Management
- Physical and Environmental Security Controls
- Investigation, Forensics and Cryptography
The BCS requires CISMP candidates to demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Knowledge of the concepts relating to information security management (confidentiality, integrity, availability, vulnerability, threats, risks, countermeasures, etc)
- Understanding of current national legislation and regulations which impact upon information security management
- Awareness of current national and international standards, frameworks and organisations which facilitate the management of information security
- Understanding of the current business and common technical environments in which information security management has to operate
- Knowledge of the categorisation, operation and effectiveness of controls of different types and characteristics
View the full BCS syllabus for CISMP
The Certificate in Information Security Management Principles (CISMP) exam
To achieve the CISMP qualification, you must pass a two hour multiple-choice exam, consisting of 100 questions. A minimum of 65 marks out of 100 are required to pass and 80 marks will gain you a distinction.
The CISMP exam is included on the final day of our CISMP Certificate in Information Security Management Principles training course, which covers the BCS learning objectives in order to prepare candidates for the exam.
View a sample CISMP exam paper
CISMP and the BCS CESG Certified Professional Scheme
If you work in the public sector, or supply services to the public sector, then the CISMP qualification is particularly important. It is part of the CESG Certified Professional Scheme, which has been developed to provide independent assessment and verification of Information Assurance professionals working in the public sector. It also provides a clearly defined career development path.
The CISMP qualification demonstrates an individual’s competency at Practitioner level. The BCS CESG scheme outlines competencies at the following three levels:
- Practitioner level
- Senior Practitioner level
- Lead Practitioner level
The scheme covers six Information Assurance roles:
- Security and Information Risk Advisor
- Security Architect
- IA Auditor
- IT Security Officer
- Communications Security Officer (ComSO)
For further information please see the BCS CESG Certified Professional Scheme Overview.
CISMP course benefits
As well as our wide range of additional information security titles you may also be interested in our free green papers on information security, risk management and business continuity management.
Why choose IT Governance for your training needs?
- IT Governance is widely acknowledged as a leading global provider of IT governance, risk management and compliance solutions, and offer a broad range of free resources, books, e-learning courses, consultancy and software to supplement your learning.
- Plan and build your career with a wide selection of training courses, from ISO 27001, PCI DSS, GDPR and cyber security qualifications to CISM, CISA, CISSP, CGEIT and C-RISC.
- Since launching our CISMP course in 2013, we have maintained has a 96% pass rate.
- Take advantage of a wealth of free resources and affordable tools and support once you have completed your training.
- Choose from a selection of professional training venues across the UK.
- Flexible booking process - if you need to change the date for a training course that you have booked, you can do so here.
- IT Governance courses are guaranteed to run – we never cancel a course.
Speak to an expert
Please contact our team for advice and guidance on our products and services