The CISMP qualification
The Certificate in Information Security Management Principles (CISMP) qualification demonstrates good knowledge and understanding of the key areas involved in information security management, including cyber security, risk management, information security management (ISO 27001), and technical controls. Awarded by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, following successful completion of the CISMP exam.
CISMP provides a solid foundation, upon which a successful information security career can be built. It is particularly valuable to those working in the public sector, as it is part of The Certified Professional (CCP) Scheme (formerly known as the CESG Certified Professional Scheme).
Get in touch
If you’re looking to advance your career with the CISMP qualification but have some questions, call our training team on 0333 800 7000, or request a call back using the form below. Our experts are ready and waiting with practical advice.
Who is CISMP suitable for?
If you are keen to develop a career in information security, CISMP is the perfect starting point as it provides a broad introduction to information security management. The content is also suitable for business professionals who require a deeper understanding of information security as part of their wider business knowledge.
What's in the CISMP syllabus?
The CISMP syllabus covers the following areas:
- Information Security Management Principles (10%)
- Information Risk (Threats, Vulnerabilities) (10%)
- Information Security Framework (Organisation, Implementation, Standards) (20%)
- Procedural / People Security Controls (15%)
- Technical Security Controls (including Infrastructure, Cloud Computing) (25%)
- Software Development and Lifecycle (5%)
- Physical and Environmental Security Controls (5%)
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Management (5%)
- Other Technical Aspects
View the full BCS syllabus for CISMP >>
The BCS requires CISMP candidates to demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Knowledge of the concepts relating to information security management (confidentiality, integrity, availability, vulnerability, threats, risks, countermeasures, etc)
- Understanding of current national legislation and regulations which impact upon information security management
- Awareness of current national and international standards, frameworks and organisations which facilitate the management of information security
- Understanding of the current business and common technical environments in which information security management has to operate
- Knowledge of the categorisation, operation and effectiveness of controls of different types and characteristics.
The CISMP exam
To achieve the CISMP qualification, you must pass a two hour multiple-choice exam, consisting of 100 questions. A minimum of 65 marks out of 100 are required to pass and 80 marks will gain you a distinction.
The CISMP exam, worth £174 is included on the final day of our CISMP Certificate in Information Security Management Principles training course, which covers the BCS learning objectives in order to prepare candidates for the exam.
View a sample CISMP exam paper >>
CISMP and the CCP Scheme
If you work in the public sector, or supply services to the public sector, then the CISMP qualification is particularly important. It is part of The Certified Professional (CCP) Scheme, licensed by the NCSC (the National Cyber Security Centre, which is a part of GCHQ, the Government Communications Headquarters).
The CCP scheme has been developed to provide independent assessment and verification of Information Assurance professionals working in the public sector. It also provides a clearly defined career development path.
The CISMP qualification demonstrates an individual’s competency at Practitioner level.
The BCS CCP scheme outlines competencies at the following three levels:
- Practitioner level
- Senior level
- Lead level
The scheme covers six Information Assurance roles:
- Security and Information Risk Advisor
- Cyber Security / IA Architect
- Cyber Security / IA Auditor
- IT Security Officer
- Communications Security Officer (ComSO)
For further information please see the BCS CCP Scheme Overview.
CISMP course benefits
As well as our wide range of additional information security titles you may also be interested in our free green papers on information security, risk management and business continuity management.