Protecting against a broad range of malware (including computer viruses, worms, spyware, botnet software and ransomware) and including options for virus removal will protect your computer, your privacy and your important documents from attack.
Firewalls don’t protect against malicious content on websites, but anti-malware suites on users’ workstations do. Hackers try to get malicious software onto trusted websites; while they used to favour getting it onto adult sites, this is no longer the preferred attack vector: placing malware on a blog, for example, is much more likely to be effective.
According to Malware research produced by AppRiver, one in every 10 pieces of email that was sent in January 2014 was malicious.
Are you at risk? The following practices should be avoided:
- Lack of malware protection software installed on systems.
- Failure to install anti-malware software on all devices that are connected to the Internet.
- Anti-malware solutions that do not automatically update and conduct regular scans.
- Anti-malware solutions that do not perform website blacklisting.
- Failure to configure malware protection software to scan files automatically upon access, such as when downloading, opening files or accessing web pages.
Hackers exposed the personal information of 35 million South Koreans in August 2011 when the hackers breached a popular software provider, EST Soft.
South Korean news outlets reported that attackers with Chinese IP addresses uploaded malware to a server belonging to EST Soft. Attackers were able to steal the names, user IDs, hashed passwords, birthdates, genders, telephone numbers, and street and email addresses contained in a database connected to the same network.
Read more about this story >>
View another control:
Solutions for Cyber Essentials certification
IT Governance offers three unique solutions that will enable you to achieve certification to either Cyber Essentials or Cyber Essentials Plus cost-effectively and easily.
View the three solutions >>
Speak to an expert
Please contact our team for advice and guidance on our Cyber Essentials products and services.