COVID-19: remote delivery options
We want to reassure our clients that all training and consultancy services will go ahead as scheduled during the COVID-19 situation. Our delivery methods allow us to provide consultancy services, penetration tests and training remotely where necessary. For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 policy.
What is external network penetration testing?
An external network or infrastructure penetration test assesses your network for vulnerabilities and security issues that opportunistic and determined hackers might exploit
- Identifying vulnerabilities in the defined external infrastructure;
- Attempting to exploit any identified vulnerabilities; and
- Providing a report that contains an ordered list of issues, their associated risk, and remediation advice for identified vulnerabilities.
It uses both advanced manual testing techniques and automated scans to simulate real-world attacks to identify risks within your business and covers:
- Secure configurations
- Network traffic
- Secure passwords
- Secure authentication
- Information leakage
Download the full service description.
Speak to an expert
For more information on how our CREST-accredited penetration testing services can help safeguard your organisation, call us now on
+44 (0)333 800 7000, or request a call back using the form below.
Get in touch
Did you know?
Breaking into external (Internet-facing) systems can be relatively simple if they are not properly patched and secured against the latest threats.
Once an external attacker has gained access to your network, they can access sensitive data, modify data, cause the system to operate abnormally or crash the system.
Benefits of an external network penetration test
Our external network penetration tests will help you:
- Identify and understand the technology-related vulnerabilities affecting your external infrastructure;
- Understand the potential business impacts of vulnerabilities;
- Demonstrate a strong security posture to clients by providing third-party assurances that your external infrastructure is secure;
- Comply with ISO 27001, the UK DPA (Data Protection Act) 2018 and the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), the PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard), and other laws, regulations and contractual obligations; and
- Protect brand loyalty and corporate image by reducing the likelihood of a security breach.
Is an external network penetration test right for you?
If you are responsible for your external network, you should ask yourself:
- Are my systems fully patched and properly configured?
- Are any systems or applications secured with weak or default passwords?
- Have I accounted for all the services exposed to the Internet?
- Could malware be present on my system?
- Is every device secured by a correctly configured firewall?
- Is my confidential information properly segregated or secured?
Our external network penetration testing methodology
IT Governance’s External Infrastructure Penetration Test follows our proprietary security testing methodology, closely aligned with the SANS and OSSTMM (Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual) methodologies.
This service can examine any number of targets on your organisation’s external network perimeter, including file servers, web servers, etc. Our pen testers will assess any external target you provide an IP address for.
IT Governance uses automated scans and advanced manual testing techniques to assess your security and identify vulnerabilities.
Select your external network penetration test
We offer two levels of penetration tests to meet your budget and technical requirements.
- A fixed-scope testing package that combines a series of manual assessments with automated scans to assess your external infrastructure’s vulnerability to cyber attack.
- Allows you to evaluate your security posture and make more accurate budgetary decisions.
Please contact us to purchase one of our quick, affordable and fixed-price penetration tests.
Book an external network penetration test
- Scoped according to your specific requirements, a level 2 test attempts to exploit the identified vulnerabilities to see whether it is possible to access your assets and resources.
- Provides a more thorough assessment of your security posture, enabling you to make more accurate decisions about investing in securing your business-critical systems.
Please contact us to request a quote or speak to a penetration testing expert for further information.
Request a free quote