Managed penetration testing service
What is a managed penetration testing service?
IT Governance’s managed penetration testing service is an effective and economical method of determining the security of your networks and web applications, enabling your organisation to identify the best way to protect its assets.
For most organisations, it can be difficult to hire and retain the specialist staff necessary to perform the recommended annual or semi-annual penetration tests.
Our expertise in complex networks and standards means we can offer a structured framework to help you achieve your development and compliance needs under one contract to meet your annual and bi-annual penetration testing requirements.
Speak to an expert
Did you know?
Connecting compliance with regular penetration testing
In today’s regulated environment, many organisations are looking for better ways to continually assess their compliance posture. Various regulations and standards have multiple components specifically related to system auditing and security, and either indicate or specify that penetration testing is necessary to determine whether identified vulnerabilities pose a genuine risk to an organisation. These include (but are not limited to):
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
- PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard)
- ISO 27001
- NIS Regulations (Network and Information Systems Regulations 2018)
- NHS DSP (Data Security and Protection) Toolkit
- CoCo (Code of Connection)
- NYFDS (New York Department of Financial Services) Cybersecurity Requirements
- MiFID II (Markets in Financial Instruments Directive)
- FCA (Financial Conduct Authority)
Ensuring the integrity of systems under development
Many organisations conduct penetration tests on a regular basis and/or after system changes as an effective security control. All organisations should consider some form of penetration testing as a part of their overall security programme.
||Actions to consider
||To ensure that…
|Planning and requirements
||Help build penetration testing into requirements, allocating sufficient funding, resources and time.
||Business and security requirements are met.
||Integrate penetration tests into a security testing approach.
||Coding weaknesses are identified as soon as possible.
|Integration and test
||Perform vulnerability scanning and build reviews.
||System builds are secure.
Conduct exploitation testing of applications and networks.
Vulnerabilities are addressed.
||Subject critical systems to regular penetration testing (at least yearly) and after any major change.
||Systems continue to be as well protected as possible.
Is a managed penetration testing service right for you?
- To meet the requirements of standards and legislation, you need to evidence that you have conducted, and continue to undertake, an appropriate level of penetration testing.
- Your organisation is subject to numerous audits throughout the course of the year from various stakeholders and prospective clients.
- Security testing needs to be fully incorporated into your system development lifecycle and not just conducted as a tick-box exercise at the point of launch.
- You need to be on the mark when it comes to protecting the sensitive data held on your networks against hacking and other malicious threats.
Benefits of the managed penetration testing service
Our managed penetration testing service will help you:
- Increase savings over time and insure procurement of your annual penetration testing requirements against any price fluctuations;
- Make budget planning easier with pre-scoped tests and transparent fixed pricing.
- Maintain compliance against standards and legislation where there is an annual penetration testing requirement.
- Save time in negotiations, hold-ups with the legal department and preparation for testing with one contract; and
- Better fit your testing requirements into the window between each development being completed and going live.
Our engagement process
Our managed penetration testing service will be delivered through your nominated account manager, who will draw on all appropriate resources to deliver your service.
- Penetration testing programme development: Our CREST-accredited penetration testing consultants can help you develop your managed penetration testing requirements by developing a penetration testing programme that combines level 1 penetration testing of your estate and level 2 testing of your critical systems and assets to maximise value.
- Scoping: Before a test, our account management team will discuss your assessment requirements for your systems, networks or applications to define the scope of the individual test.
- Reconnaissance: We will attempt to gather information about your organisation and how it operates. We will use automated scanning to identify potential security holes that could lead to your systems being compromised.
- Assessment: We will conduct manual tests (e.g. authentication bypass, brute-force attack, public exploits) to compromise your system environment and identify attack vectors for your wider network.
- Reporting: We will provide a detailed breakdown of all your results in an easily interpreted format based on the damage potential, reproducibility, exploitability, number of affected users and discoverability of each finding.
Companies using our penetration testing services
“IT Governance combines the delivery of real insights with a cost-effective service.”
Ian Kilpatrick, Group Information Security Officer at Collinson Group.
Speak to an expert
For more information and guidance on penetration testing or packages that IT Governance offers, please contact our experts who will be able to discuss your needs further.