Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) & ISO 50001:2011 Energy Management Systems (EnMS)
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Regulations 2014 were established by the government in order to implement the EU Energy Efficiency Directive. ESOS is a “mandatory energy assessment scheme for organisations in the UK that meet the qualification criteria”.
ISO 50001:2011 is the international standard for energy management systems. ISO 50001 supersedes the European standard EN 16001:2009.
Buy a copy of the ISO 50001 standard here.
Below, we provide information on ESOS compliance and the significance of ISO 50001 as a tool for compliance with this mandatory regulation.
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Regulations 2014 were established by the government in order to implement the EU Energy Efficiency Directive, which aims to cut carbon emissions across the EU by requiring large businesses to make energy savings.
ESOS is a mandatory energy assessment scheme for organisations in the UK that meet certain criteria.
Any UK company that:
- employs over 250 people; and/or
- has an annual turnover in excess of €50 million (£38,937,777) and an annual balance sheet total in excess of €43 million (£33,486,489).
An overseas company with a UK-registered establishment that has 250 or more UK employees (paying income tax in the UK).
If you qualify for ESOS and your organisation’s energy is fully covered by a certified ISO 50001 EnMS you do not need to carry out an ESOS assessment. You do, however, need to notify the Environment Agency that you are compliant with ESOS.
For more information on ESOS compliance, visit: https://www.gov.uk/energy-savings-opportunity-scheme-esos.
The ISO 50001 standard
The new set of regulations requiring organisations to manage their energy efficiently will increase demand from suppliers, customers and stakeholders for businesses to manage their energy usage in an efficient and environmentally friendly manner.
The most efficient way to comply with ESOS is by certifying to ISO 50001. By doing this, organisations are promoting commitment to energy management as well as ensuring that they:
- meet legal and contractual energy compliance, specifically ESOS;
- save money by managing energy more efficiently;
- demonstrate a commitment to improved energy performance to customers and stakeholders.
The ISO 50001:2011 standard is a set of requirements that helps organisations develop an efficient energy management system (EnMS). ISO 50001 helps organisations develop an energy policy and achieve objectives, taking into account statutory, legal and other requirements. The Standard specifies requirements applicable to energy use and consumption, including:
- Documentation and reporting
- Design and procurement practices for equipment
- Processes and personnel that contribute to energy performance.
ISO 50001 has been designed to be applicable to any organisation in any sector and in such a way that it can easily be integrated into other management systems. The benefits of creating an EnMS aligned with ISO 50001 include:
- Reduced costs and/or better use of an organisations' energy consumption.
- Compliance with legal, contractual and statutory requirements.
- Promoting energy management best practice throughout the supply chain.
- Planning and developing new energy-efficient procedures and technologies.
- Supporting and developing the organisation’s brand, and creating more business by committing to being environmentally friendly.
Purchase the ISO 500001 standard here.
ISO 50001 EnMS Documentation Toolkit
Go one step further than ESOS and ensure ongoing commitment to a more sustainable future while meeting the ESOS requirements with our ISO 50001 EnMS Documentation Toolkit.
Our toolkit provides organisations with the necessary document templates that support both certification to ISO 50001 and compliance with ESOS.
The ISO 50001 EnMS Documentation Toolkit can be applied to any organisation and provides a structure in which to run energy efficient projects.
Learn more about the ISO 50001 EnMS Toolkit here >>
Speak to an expert
Whatever the nature or size of your problem, we are here to help. Get in touch today using one of the contact methods below.