Internal network penetration tests
What is an internal network penetration test?
Internal penetration testing assesses what an insider attack could accomplish. The target is typically the same as external penetration testing, but the major differentiator is the attacker either has some sort of authorised access or is starting from a point within the internal network. An internal network test generally:
- Tests from the perspective of both an authenticated and non-authenticated user to assess potential exploits;
- Assesses the vulnerabilities that exist for systems that are accessible to authorised login IDs and that reside within the network; and
- Checks for misconfigurations that would allow employees to access information and inadvertently leak it online.
Once identified, the vulnerabilities are presented in a format that allows an organisation to assess their relative business risk and the cost of remediation. These can then be resolved in line with the network owner’s budget and risk appetite, inducing a proportionate response to cyber risks.
Did you know?
Insider Threat Intelligence Report, Dtex Systems (2017)
- 64% of companies found publicly accessible sensitive corporate information on the web.
- 56% of organisations experience potential data theft by leaving or joining employees.
Insider threats are among the most difficult for enterprises to detect and stop. One of the main reasons for this is the sheer scope for attacks. It include everything from staff accidentally losing or damaging data, to malicious actors stealing information or compromising systems.
Internal users often bypass physical controls designed to protect computer resources. For most organisations, this means the internal network is where they are most vulnerable.
Benefits of an internal network penetration test
Our penetration tests will help you:
- Gain real-world insight into your vulnerabilities;
- Identify what information a rogue employee could exploit;
- Determine whether partner organisations access more internal resources than you intended;
- Identify any patches that need to be installed;
- Harden your access controls; and
- Enable encryption or choose a more secure protocol.
Is an internal network penetration test right for you?
If you are responsible for your internal network, you should ask yourself:
- Are your workstations and devices secure?
- Is there a risk to your network from weak/default passwords?
- Can someone on the inside gain access to the entire internal network?
- Do you suffer from information leakage?
- Have you assessed your intranet application for vulnerabilities?
- Are your systems adequately patched?
- Is your third-party access robust?
Our engagement process
Our CREST-accredited penetration testers follow an established methodology based primarily upon the OSSTMM (Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual) security risks. This approach will emulate the techniques of an attacker using many of the same readily available tools.
- Scoping: Before testing, our account management team will discuss your assessment requirements for your internal network to define the scope of the test.
- Reconnaissance: The tester will enumerate your network assets within the scope of the engagement and identify any holes in your firewalls to ensure network segmentation.
- Assessment: Using the information identified in the initial phase, we test the network for potential vulnerabilities. This will provide your organisation with
- Reporting: The test results will be fully analysed by an IT Governance certified tester and a full report will be prepared for the customer that sets out the scope of the test and the methodology used, along with the risks identified.
- Re-test: We can provide access to our testers and the raw test data to support and expedite remediation. We can also retest your systems so that you can be sure all identified issues have been successfully resolved.
How IT Governance can help you
We are pioneers in offering easy-to-understand and quick-to-buy penetration testing.
You can choose the level of penetration test to meet your budget and technical requirements.
We provide clear reports that can be understood by engineering and management teams alike.
CREST-accredited penetration testing services give you all the technical assurance you need.
Companies using our penetration testing services
“IT Governance combines the delivery of real insights with a cost-effective service.”
Ian Kilpatrick, Group Information Security Officer at Collinson Group.
Speak to an expert
Our team of experts are available to discuss your organisation’s penetration testing needs, and can help you decide which of our testing services is best suited. Get in touch with us today.