Getting started and setting up
- Step 1. Setting up an Adobe ID (free)
You can set up an Adobe ID here.
You will be asked to provide an email address and create a password. The email address you provide must match the email address that you used to buy your eBook.
- Step 2. Setting up ADE – free software
You need to download the latest version of ADE compatible with your preferred platform here.
- Step 3. Authorise your device or computer
During the installation process you will be asked to authorise your computer:
- Step 3.1. Setting up ADE without creating an Adobe ID
During the installation process and when setting up your ADE, a window will ask you to “Authorize Your Computer” – enter the information created in step 1. Check the “I want to authorize my computer without an ID” box and click “Authorize”.
When asked to select an eBook vendor, select ‘Adobe ID’ from the drop-down menu:
- Enter your Adobe ID – this is the email address you used in step 1.
- Enter your password – this is the password you created in step 1.
Read your eBook on a PC or Mac
You have now successfully set up and installed ADE. To read your eBook on a PC or Mac you need to follow these steps:
Open the email from IT Governance containing the download instructions for your eBook and click the download link. If you can’t see this in your inbox, check your spam/junk folder.
The download link will open in a web page. Click ‘Open with’ and select ADE. Before clicking ‘OK’, tick the box that asks you to make this your default program for opening similar files.
ADE will open and the eBook will automatically download to your library. It will also be saved to a ‘My Digital Editions’ folder. Access this folder by going to the ‘My Documents’ folder on a Windows PC, or ‘Documents’ on a Mac.
Read your eBook on an e-reader
Your new title will appear on your device.
Follow the instructions specified in steps 1 and 2 above to set up ADE and download your eBook onto a computer.
- Connect your e-reader to the computer.
- Open ADE and go to the ‘Library’ view. Your e-reader should appear under ‘Devices’.
- Drag the eBook(s) from the ‘Library’ view across to ‘Devices’.
- Once the eBook has been moved, you can safely eject your e-reader.
Read your eBook on an iPhone, iPad or Android device
- Download ADE or the Bluefire Reader app from the app store (iTunes or Google Play) or the provider’s website.
- Continue through the app’s set-up and installation process by either:
- On your device, open the email you received from IT Governance containing the download instructions for your purchase and click the link to continue to the download page. If you can’t see this in your inbox, check your spam/junk folder.
- The download link will open in a web page and you will be prompted to click ‘Open In’. Select ADE or the Bluefire Reader app. The application will automatically open and your eBook will begin downloading.
- If you want to use your Kindle app instead of downloading a new app, see the steps here.
- Entering your Adobe ID and authorising the device; or
- Continuing without an Adobe ID and authorising the device.
Benefits of creating an Adobe ID
If you have already downloaded your eBook to an Adobe ID authorised version of ADE or Bluefire Reader on your computer and want to access it via your mobile device, simply download the appropriate app from your app store, enter your Adobe ID (the same Adobe ID that you authorised the computer with) and authorise the device. Your stored eBook library will then appear on your device.
Read your e-book on a Kindle or ‘My Kindle’ app
To read an eBook on a Kindle you need to buy your title via the Amazon Kindle Store here. IT Governance’s web shop does not support purchases made for Kindle-compatible devices.
If you have an account with Amazon and would rather buy a Kindle file for your mobile device (that is not an Amazon Kindle), you will need to download the Kindle Reading app for the device.