Spear-phishing: The wolf in sheep’s clothing

Recent research shows that, on average, users receive 90 emails per day, 85% of which are legitimate and the remaining 15% of which are spam. But what if an email looks legitimate when, in reality, it is nothing but a well-designed scam? Would you open it?

To click or not to click?

The answer is ‘it depends on the sender’. According to Avecto’s research involving 1,000 people who use the internet daily to do their jobs, 65% would consider whether or not to click on a link in an email from someone they didn’t know. But if they knew the sender – a colleague, a supplier or a friend – 68% wouldn’t think twice before clicking on links or downloading attachments.

The rise of spear phishing

Only last year, more than 90% of cyber attacks came from spear-phishing emails, with spear-phishing campaigns and ransomware attacks (often launched through a phishing email) rising by 55% and 400% respectively from 2015, according to PhishMe. Spear-phishing email attacks are very harmful and difficult for the untrained to identify. Simulated attacks and training help educate people about spear-phishing attacks and increase their awareness of how to defend themselves from these threats.

Discover how to raise your staff’s attentiveness to phishing attacks with the Test-Educate-Assess approach developed by IT Governance >>

A Simulated Phishing Attack can establish whether your employees are vulnerable to phishing emails, so you can take immediate action to improve your cyber security. Purchase a Simulated Phishing Attack for up to 100 employees before the 22nd December 2017 and receive 10% off >>