Risk assessments are at the core of many standards, including ISO 27001, the international standard that describes best practice for an information security management system (ISMS). However, they are notoriously time-consuming and complex. Failure to conduct an accurate risk assessment could result in your organisation overlooking, underestimating or neglecting risks that could be severely damaging.
Why using spreadsheets is not recommended
Spreadsheets are frequently used for risk assessments, but because this is not what they were designed for, they have a number of disadvantages:
- Challenging to set up and maintain.
- Prone to user input errors.
- Too large and cumbersome, making it hard to find specific information.
- Difficult to use and identify risks or assets. Data becomes hard to view as the spreadsheet gets bigger.
- Sharing and keeping spreadsheets up to date is problematic, especially if multiple users need to input data. There is the additional risk that multiple copies are made, with different information in each.
What is risk assessment software?
Purpose-built risk assessment software delivers fast and robust information security risk assessments without the stress. These tools consider elements such as assets, threats, vulnerabilities, likelihood and risk impacts.
Risk assessment software eliminates the need for spreadsheets, and ensures that assessments are produced accurately and easily.
Simplify risk assessments with vsRisk™
vsRisk is an information security risk assessment software tool created by industry-leading ISO 27001 experts. Fully aligned with ISO 27001, it helps you deliver fast, accurate and hassle-free risk assessments. Suitable for organisations of all sizes, vsRisk enables you to automate your risk assessments, saving 80% of your time and cutting consultancy costs.