You are probably aware by now that the long awaited international standard for business continuity management – IS0 22301 – has now been published and is available to purchase.
There’s been a lot of interest in the new standard and there are two questions that customers are asking us time and again:
- How does ISO 22301 compare with BS25999?
- What are the deadlines for completing transition from BS25999 to ISO 22301?
In light of these question Ralph O’Brien, Senior Consultant at IT Governance, has made the following comments:
“As to my view on the new standard:
- My understanding is the basic approach of ISO 22301 actually has little change from BS25999, though some detail has been updated. Therefore organisations who already have obtained BS25999 certification will only have a modest amount of update work to do.
- However the biggest change is in the new “10 clause” structure for management system standards. Eventually all of the other Management System Standards will go to this new 10 point harmonised approach, so that in 9001, 22301, 27001, 14001, 18001 etc, all of the clauses will read across from standard to standard (rather than as now where you will find, for example, Internal Audit requirements at different clause numbers in different standards).
- This new harmonised structure will greatly benefit those organisations with “integrated” management systems and those pursuing or seeking to certify to multiple management system standards …”
ISO 22301:2012 will supersede BS 25999-2. Any organisation certified to BS 25999-2:2007 will need to transition to the new standard and be audited to demonstrate compliance to the ISO 22301:2012 before 1st June 2014 in order to retain business continuity certification.
The first step is to purchase ISO 22301 and see for yourself …
Watch this space. We will soon launching many new products and services to help you meet the requirements of the ISO 22301 standard, including:
- training courses (in-house and public);
- documentation Toolkit
- books and guides.
Our consultancy services are also available with immediate effect. Simply call 0845 070 1750 and talk to one of our advisors today!