The new international business continuity standard, ISO 22301, was launched in May 2012 and BSI Spain have already issued its first ISO 22301 certificate to Bankinter, a global financial services company.
Bankinter is the first organisation to be issued an ISO 22301 certificate by BSI and is also the first financial institution in the world to undergo successful independent assessment and demonstrate compliance with the new global standard.
Benefits of ISO22301 certification:
- The requirements in the standard can be applied in any type or size of organisation, no matter the location, making it widely applicable.
- By creating a Business Continuity Management System (BCMS) aligned with ISO22301 organisations can ensure that they are prepared should an disruptive incident occur, and more importantly, continue trading and return to business as usual as quickly as possible.
- An ISO22301 BMCS protects an organisation’s turnover, profits and reputation by ensuring preparedness.
In addition, early adopters of ISO 22301 are able to demonstrate to customers, shareholders and other stakeholders, that they are resilient and positioned to achieve business as usual within a specific time-frame following a business discontinuity. This gives an organisation a competitive advantage when tendering for new business and renegotiating existing contracts. Service level agreements can be refined and demonstrable terms can be varified.
Getting started with ISO 22301:
There are various routes to successful certification and the route you choose to take will depend entirely on your organisation. At IT Governance, we have the products and services to help you along the way. We can provide you with:
- The ISO22301 Standard;
- ISO 22301 Books & Tools;
- ISO 22301 Training Courses and
- ISO 22301 Consultancy Services.
A good place to start is by reading our band new book Business Continuity Management: Choosing to survive. It contains a chapter dedicated to BCM Standards with a particular focus on ISO 22301.
|Business Continuity Management: Choosing to survive
by Abdullah Al Hour
You should also take a look at our special September training offer. the ISO22301 BCMS, No.1 Combination Training Course. Book today and recieve 15% off the September Foundation and Lead Implementer courses!