It’s time to start taking the data protection act seriously, but why?
- The newly proposed EU directive proposes fines of 2% of annual revenue for DPA breaches
- The Information Commissioner’s Office is issuing more and more fines to public sector organisations – with the power to fine up to £500,000
- From April 2010 to March 2011 1,200 civil servants were disciplined for or unlawfully accessing personal records – The Information Commissioner and MP’s have called for harsher penalties for DPA breaches including prison sentences
- A Varonis report found only 30% of UK businesses surveyed were ‘very confident’ that the personal data they held was held securely
Source: Channel 4 Dispatches, marketingweek.co.uk
|Data Protection Act Foundation Course
From taking this course you will be able to go back to your company with up-to-date knowledge of the current legal compliance position around personal data, including:
- The 8 Principles of the DPA
- Powers of the Information Commissioner
- Individuals’ legal rights
- The new DPA enforcement regime
You can then use the free DPA Assessment Tool to determine your current levels of data protection and what you need to do to become compliant.