US military sources have told the New York Times that development of the Stuxnet computer worm used to attack uranium enrichment facilities in Iran was achieved by US and Israeli experts working closely together. The results appear to indicate the set back the development of the Iranian nuclear weapons programme by up to five years!
Many business leaders in the UK remain uncertain about the real risk of cyber attack on their business. They understand the global and national threats but associate these attacks and their defence with the activities of terrorists and nation states. However, the recent Wikileaks-related attacks on the Web services of Visa and MasterCard were instigated using very simple and low cost software which is freely available on the Internet.
While the UK government, through the newly formed Office of Cyber Security and Information Assurance (OCSIA), will be providing significant resources to protect national assets, the responsibility to protect the assets of your company is yours!
How can you protect the assets of your business from the risks associated with cybercrime?
- Vulnerability Scanning – fully automated scanning to identify and report on the complete range of potential weak points in your system.
- Penetration Testing – with the knowledge of your key vulnerabilities and your permission, we will use ethical hacking techniques to identify how weakness can be exploited.
- Web Application Testing – given that 70% of commercial cyber attacks use vulnerable Web applications, we will test weak points such as shopping carts, online forms and blogs.
- Social Testing – while the cyber risks from external sources are high, the risks from ‘white collar crime’ committed by staff and associates within your company are even higher.
- Assessment Report – a complete set of reports indentifying vulnerabilities and recommending appropriate solutions to remove or mitigate each of the cyber risks.
Routine assessment of your IT system and information security management is the only way of establishing that your networks and applications are genuinely secure against today’s automated cyber risks.
For more details on the cyber risks faced by your business and how you can how you can book your 360 Degree Cyber Security Assessment Package, please visit our dedicated Protect Your Business from Cyber Risk Web Page:
PS. In response to recent events, IT Governance has published a free White Paper, Cyber Security: a Critical Business Risk which outlines the challenges faced by all UK organisations and proposes a strategy for mitigation against the risks of cyber attack.