An information security management system (ISMS) should be an essential part of any organisation’s information security practices. It consists of a set of policies, procedures and controls that manage threats to your data, such as cyber attacks, hacks, data leaks or theft. It can be applied to the entire organisation or a specific area or department.
ISO 27001 describes best practices for an ISMS, and certifying to the Standard ensures that your organisation’s security measures are as effective as possible.
The benefits of implementing an ISMS
- It secures your information in all its forms, including digital and paper-based data, intellectual property, company secrets, data on devices and in the Cloud.
- It increases your resilience to cyber attacks.
- It provides a centrally managed framework, allowing you to oversee all your data protection policies and procedures conveniently.
- It offers organisation-wide protection, mitigating the risk of technology-based threats, poorly educated staff, ineffective procedures and other vulnerabilities.
- It helps you respond to evolving security threats, constantly adapting to changes in both the environment and inside the organisation.
- It reduces the costs associated with information security. The risk assessment and analysis approach of an ISMS means organisations can avoid adding layers of technology that might not work.
- It protects the confidentiality, availability and integrity of data.
- It improves company culture, taking into account the whole organisation. This enables employees to readily understand the risks their organisation faces and embrace security controls as part of their everyday working practices.
Get help with your ISMS
Implementing an ISMS can be hard work, and it will involve your whole organisation. The project can take anywhere from three months to a year, and however you proceed, you need to factor in your organisation’s size, the threats it faces and the measures it already has in place.
Our ISO 27001 Certified ISMS Lead Implementer course teaches you everything you need to know to put in place an effective ISMS. Real-world practitioners will show you how to tackle an ISMS project from start to finish, including:
- How to determine the scope of your ISMS based on the requirements of ISO 27001;
- Developing a management framework;
- How to allocate roles and responsibilities;
- How to carry out an information security risk assessment;
- Writing policies and producing other critical documentation;
- How to manage and drive continual improvement under ISO 27001; and
- How to prepare for your ISO 27001 certification audit.