ISO 22301 sets out the requirements for a best-practice business continuity management system (BCMS). Certification to the Standard brings a host of benefits.
What is a business continuity management system?
A BCMS is a comprehensive approach to organisational resilience and helps organisations cope with incidents that affect their business-critical processes and activities.
It provides a structure for organisations to update, control and deploy effective plans, taking into account organisational contingencies and capabilities, as well as business needs.
Benefits of an ISO 22301-compliant business continuity management system
- Protect assets, turnover and profits: Effective business continuity management (BCM) enables organisations to protect their income steam following an incident or disaster, while reducing the risk of further losses.
- Ensure continuity of business operations: A BCMS helps maintain an organisation’s service levels to its customers. It also helps business leaders to assess the potential impacts of an operational disruption, make the right decisions quickly, deploy an effective response and minimise the overall impact.
- Increase competitive advantage and enhance corporate reputation: Organisations with an ISO 22301-compliant BCMS can improve customer confidence in the organisation’s ability to respond to incidents.
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements: We recommend ISO 22301 compliance as a useful tool for implementing a well-defined incident response and reporting structure, so organisations can demonstrate they are taking steps to comply with regulatory requirements, such as the and the the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the NIS Directive.
- Obtain an independent assessment of your security posture: Accredited certification involves regular reviews and internal audits that provide an expert opinion as to whether the BCMS is functioning properly and provides the level of security needed to protect the organisation’s products and services.
Practical guidance for implementing an ISO 22301 BCMS
May’s book of the month, A Manager’s Guide to ISO22301, is an essential companion guide for those working in business continuity looking to implement a BCMS aligned to ISO 22301.
A Manager’s Guide to ISO22301 provides a comprehensive introduction to business continuity, including:
- How to develop and implement a business continuity plan;
- The business continuity strategy, procedures and documentation;
- The importance of exercising, testing and evaluation;
- How to identify non-conformities in the BCMS; and
- The benefits of achieving ISO 22301 certification.