Data Protection Act Training in London
- Does your organisation comply with the DPA?
- Do you want to avoid fines and censure for data breaches?
- How do you manage personal data legally and effectively?
"Excellent tutor, great facilities & lovely environment. Made complex subject easy to understand. The best Data Protection course there is!"
Jonathan Pillinger, Senior Associate, Corporate Compliance, Postcomm
Why attend DPA training?
Data loss in both public and private sectors is all over the media, and the governance of personal information now keeps company directors awake at night. This has been raised so far up the public agenda that the Information Commissioner (the UK's regulatory body for the DPA) has now been granted extra powers and sanctions - including the power to levy fines of up to £500k.
This interactive and enjoyable one-day course gives both new and experienced staff and management - those involved with or responsible for personal data - an oversight of what the Data Protection Act means to their business also to their own rights as an individual.
"Brought data protection act to life' - engaging tutor"
Louise Gilbert, Project Manager, John Lewis Partnership
Benefits of this DPA Foundation training course
Course delegates will go back to their companies with up-to-date knowledge of the current legal compliance position around personal data, including
- The 8 Principles of the DPA;
- Powers of the Information Commissioner;
- Individuals' legal rights;
- The new DPA enforcement regime;
- Options available for ensuring compliance.
Delegates will be able to develop their knowledge through workshop discussions during the course and planned exercises will help consider practical application to their own environments.
Importantly, once they've completed this course, delegates will be in a position of knowledge to review and understand their current processes around the processing and storage of personal data and ensure that these processes are in line with the latest Data Protection Act compliance requirements.
Covers all the essentials of the Data Protection Act
This 1-day DPA Foundation course combines a mixture of theory and group workshop sessions to examine the legislation and requirements on organisations handling personal data and explores methods of complying with the DPA whilst supporting business objectives.
Click to expand full contents »
This comprehensive course covers:
- Why Data Protection? - Privacy evolution or erosion?
- What is personal data?
- The legal and commercial obligations of an organisation
- Finding a legal basis for collecting and retaining data
- Fair processing statements, direct marketing and whether to 'opt in' or 'opt out'
- Getting the right amount of relevant personal information
- Keeping personal data accurate and up-to-date
- Archiving and retention
- Security, including the role of ISO27001 and BS10012
- International or inter-business transfers of personal data
- The rights of the individual
- Powers of the Information Commissioner
- Criminal Offences and Sanctions
- Interaction with Human rights, Freedom of Information, Information Security and, Business Continuity
- Rights of the individual in the workplace; and
- CCTV, internet, email and other monitoring devices
This course enables delegates to get to grips with the key concepts, obligations and rights granted by Data Protection law, including the latest revisions to UK Data Protection legislation.
"I found the course extremely interesting and the instructor was excellent."
Caroline Nichols, Assistant to the Secretary, The Midcounties Co-operative
Who is this DPA Foundation course suitable for?
This one-day data protection management course is designed for:
- Information Assurance managers;
- Data protection/information governance managers
- Corporate Governance managers;
- Business managers;
- Record managers and database administrators;
- Legal, regulatory and compliance practitioners;
- HR professionals;
- People who deal with customer queries and administer personal data;
- IT and other staff, including HR, legal and business users;, and
- Any individual who wishes to become aware of their own legal rights.
There are no formal entry requirements. This course is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to data protection law for beginners and also to update experienced practitioners and prepare them for the challenges of DPA compliance in today's workplace.
- Our package includes lunch and refreshments, and full course materials.
- Certificates of attendance are awarded to all delegates and this course qualifies for 8 CPE credits, or 8 hours for all professional Continuous Professional Education programs.
- This course is also available to be delivered in-house, call or email us for further details.
- Delegates travelling from outside the UK, Click here to find out the variety of ways we can help organise your trip.
- Although the course is non-residential, we offer help finding appropriate hotels, close to the training venue. To take advantage of this offer, drop us an email after you book your course.
How to book
There are three ways to book your course, either online, via fax, or telephone:
- By telephone: call us on 0845 070 1750
- By fax: Send a completed booking form by fax to +44 (0) 1353 662667.
- Online: Use the form above.
We can also accept purchase orders from local authorities, government departments, and other public sector organisations and will consider account facilities for large corporate customers, follow this link to our payment options page for more information.
All bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.
"I would like to thank the course tutor on behalf of the Troop for the in-house training that he delivered on Friday. Although I did not attend it myself, the guys got a lot out of the course and have now started firing questions at me (which means they were awake for the course!) Please pass on my thanks to Ralph for a well structured and delivered course
Sgt Lee Johns, MOD