Data Protection Act Training in London
- Does your organisation comply with the DPA?
- Do you want to avoid fines and censure for data breaches?
- How do you manage personal data legally and effectively?
Why attend DPA training?
Data loss in both public and private sectors is all over the media and the governance of personal information now keeps company directors awake at night. Data protection has been raised so far up the public agenda that the Information Commissioner (the UK's regulatory body for the DPA) has been granted extra powers and sanctions, including the power to levy fines of up to £500k.
If you're involved with or responsible for personal data then this interactive one-day course will give you an oversight of what the Data Protection Act means to your organisation and to your own individual rights.
Benefits of this DPA Foundation training course
You will return to your workplace with up-to-date knowledge of the current legal compliance position around personal data, including:
- the eight principles of the DPA;
- powers of the Information Commissioner;
- individuals' legal rights;
- the new DPA enforcement regime; and
- the options available for ensuring compliance.
During the course you will develop your knowledge through workshop discussions and planned exercises that consider practical application in the work environment.
Completion of the course will give you the knowledge required to review and understand if your current personal data processing and storage is in line with the latest Data Protection Act compliance requirements.
Who should attend this course?
This one-day data protection course is designed for:
- information assurance managers;
- data protection/information governance managers;
- corporate governance managers;
- business managers;
- record managers and database administrators;
- legal, regulatory and compliance practitioners;
- HR professionals;
- people who deal with customer queries and administer personal data;
- IT and other staff, including HR, legal and business users;
- any individual who wishes to become aware of their own legal rights.
There are no formal entry requirements. This course is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to data protection law for beginners. It is also ideal for experienced practitioners who require an update in order to meet the challenges of DPA compliance in today's workplace.
Covers all the essentials of the Data Protection Act
What will you learn?
This DPA Foundation course combines a mixture of theory and group workshop sessions to examine the legislation and requirements for handling personal data, and explores methods of complying with the DPA whilst supporting business objectives.
Click to expand full contents »
This course covers the following topics:
- Why Data Protection? Privacy evolution or erosion?
- What is personal data?
- The legal and commercial obligations of an organisation.
- Finding a legal basis for collecting and retaining data.
- Fair processing statements, direct marketing and whether to opt in or opt out.
- Getting the right amount of relevant personal information.
- Keeping personal data accurate and up-to-date.
- Archiving and retention.
- Security, including the role of ISO27001 and BS10012.
- International or inter-business transfers of personal data.
- The rights of the individual.
- Powers of the Information Commissioner.
- Criminal Offences and Sanctions.
- Interaction with Human rights, Freedom of Information, Information Security and, Business Continuity.
- Rights of the individual in the workplace.
- CCTV, internet, email and other monitoring devices.
What's included in the course?
- Lunch and refreshments.
- Full course materials (digital copy provided as PDF file).
- Eight continuing professional development credits.
- Certificate of attendance.
This course is non-residential, but we can help you to find a hotel close to the training venue. To take advantage of this offer, drop us an email after you book your course.
"Excellent tutor, great facilities & lovely environment. Made complex subject easy to understand. The best Data Protection course there is!"
Jonathan Pillinger, Senior Associate, Corporate Compliance, Postcomm
"Brought data protection act to life - engaging tutor"
Louise Gilbert, Project Manager, John Lewis Partnership
"I found the course extremely interesting and the instructor was excellent."
Caroline Nichols, Assistant to the Secretary, The Midcounties Co-operative
"I would like to thank the course tutor on behalf of the Troop for the in-house training that he delivered on Friday. Although I did not attend it myself, the guys got a lot out of the course and have now started firing questions at me (which means they were awake for the course!) Please pass on my thanks to Ralph for a well structured and delivered course"
Sgt Lee Johns, MOD
How to book?
View available training dates and book online using the form at the top of this page.
To discuss your learning needs with our training experts.
Call us on +44 (0)845 070 1750.
Or download our booking form, complete it and fax to us on +44 (0) 1353 662667.
We accept purchase orders from local authorities, government departments, and other public sector organisations and will consider account facilities for large corporate customers. See our payment options page for details.
This course is can also be delivered in-house.
You may be interested in:
Don’t miss out on …
Our free green paper The Data Protection Act: A Business Enabler?
All bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.