Certificate in Information Security Management Principles (CISMP) Training
The BCS Certificate in Information Security Management Principles (CISMP) is an established and internationally-regarded foundation-level qualification which demonstrates a good knowledge and understanding of the key subject areas associated with information security management, including:
- risk management;
- technical and management controls;
- legal frameworks;
- people and physical security;
- security standards (eg ISO27001);
- business continuity.
Delivered by an experienced BCS-qualified trainer, this five-day classroom training course provides the knowledge required to develop a career in information security management, and preparation for the BCS CISMP examination which will be held on the final day of the course.
Who should attend this course?
- IT professionals who wish to develop a career in information security management.
- Existing IT managers who want to enhance their information security knowledge to ensure that information security management and controls are adequately implemented in their organisation.
BCS CESG Certified Professional Scheme
For IT professionals working in the UK public sector, a pass in the CISMP examination is required to qualify for all roles at Practitioner level in the CESG Certified Professional Scheme, which provides a means of independent assessment and verification for those working in Information Assurance (IA), and which has been widely adopted by government and local government organisations.
While there are no formal entry requirements, we assume all delegates have some knowledge of information technology. An understanding of the general principles of information technology security would be useful, and an awareness of issues involved with security control activity would be highly advantageous. (We recommend reading the Information Security Management Principles - An ISEB Certificate textbook, the approved BCS reference book for this course and examination.)
What will you learn on the CISMP training course?
- Knowledge of the concepts relating to information security management, including confidentiality, integrity, availability, vulnerability, threats, risks and countermeasures.
- Understanding of the current national legislation and regulations which impact upon information security management.
- Awareness of the current national and international standards (ISO27001), frameworks and organisations which facilitate the management of information security.
- Understanding of the current business and common technical environments in which information security management has to operate.
- Knowledge of the categorisation, operation and effectiveness of controls of different types and characteristics.
The content reflects the following areas covered by the current BCS CISMP syllabus:
- Information Security Management Principles.
- Information Risk (Threats, Vulnerabilities).
- Information Security Framework (Organisation, Implementation, Standards).
- Procedural / People Security Controls.
- Technical Security Controls (including Infrastructure, Cloud Computing).
- Software Development and Lifecycle.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Management.
- Physical and Environmental Security Controls.
- Investigation, Forensics and Cryptography.
Download the syllabus
For more information on these requirements, please download a copy of the BCS Certificate in Information Security Management Principles Syllabus (October 2012).
The CISMP Examination
- The format for the exam is a two-hour multiple-choice paper, consisting of 100 questions.
- The exam session is closed-book (meaning no materials can be taken into the examination room).
- Candidates need to achieve a minimum of 65 marks out of 100 to pass and 80 out of 100 to gain a distinction.
What's included in the course?
- Lunch and refreshments;
- Full course materials (digital copy provided as PDF file);
- Registration and administration of the BCS Certificate in Information Security Management Principles exam;
- Certificate of attendance.
This course is non-residential, but we can help you to find a hotel close to the training venue. To take advantage of this offer, drop us an email after you book your course.
How to book
View available training dates and book online using the form at the top of this page.
To discuss your learning needs with our training experts.
Call us on +44 (0)845 070 1750.
Or download our booking form, complete it and fax to us on +44 (0) 1353 662667.
We accept purchase orders from local authorities, government departments, and other public sector organisations and will consider account facilities for large corporate customers. See our payment options page for details.
Start your information security career with us. Book your course today!
This course can also be delivered in-house.
You may be interested in …
Don’t miss out on …
Our free green paper Information Security and ISO 27001 – An Introduction
All bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.